Saturday, January 16, 2010

7 Lucky Reasons to Quit Smoking

When you begin to want to quit smoking it is helpful to know why you want to quit.  In the beginning I did not want to quit, I really never wanted to quit until I realized I could go long periods of time without cigarettes and what they were actually doing to my body.  I would get dizzy after I smoked when I didn't have a cigarette for 12 hours - you should try it sometime.  The day I walked into a wall, I said to myself " I really have to do something about this habit".   So train your mind (notice I didn't say change - that is always harder to do) and change your habits.  Here is what I started to think about :

1. I had to Know Why I Wanted to Quit


“Because it’s unhealthy for you” was never good enough for me, because quite frankly I did not feel bad.
Even after 33 years of smoking, I still felt good.  To get motivated, I needed a powerful, personal reason to quit. Mine was a relation issue, not one that the other person put on me - but rather one that I chose myself. Maybe you want to save money, protect your family from secondhand smoke, become healither or know someone who has passed away from lung cancer and that thoght frightens you. Whatever the reason, choose one that is strong enough to be more important than the urge to light up.

2.  Don’t Go It Alone


If you don't have to be accountable for your actions, the more likely you will fail. It is important to tell your friends, family, and co-workers that you’re trying to quit. More than likely they will be happy for you and encourage you.  This could make a difference in the success you have. You may also want to join a support group or go on line daily and visit blogs such as this one for support.  Combine behavioral therapy with nicotine-replacement products or medication to boost your odds of success. Click for Stop Smoking Aid

3.  Try Nicotine-Replacement Therapy


When you stop smoking, nicotine withdrawal may make you frustrated, depressed, restless, or angry. I remember that I could not get through one sales presentation lasting more that 45 minutes without the desperate urge for a cigarette.  I was going through some heavy, heavy withdrawals. The craving for “just one drag” was tremendous. Nicotine-replacement products can help reduce these feelings and get you through the day. Studies suggest these products can help double your chances of quitting successfully.  If you continue to smoke you should not use these products.

4.   Manage Stress


When I first started smoking it was to "control" the stress I had in my life.  The misconception of smokers is that smoking will help them relax.  Smoking is actually a stimulant.  It is actually the "act" of doing something that helps you relax, so the soultion is simple:  find something else to do.  This will take a conscious effort so you might want to make a list of what you will do during stressful situations. One very helpful thing for me toi fallback on was: deep breaths !  Other forms of stress release could include: exercise, walks, massages,  istening to relaxing music, or taking up a class in something you've always wanted to learn.  If possible, control your environment and avoid stressful situations during the first few weeks after you stop smoking.

5.  Avoid  Triggers


Certain activities may increase your urge to smoke. Coffee drinkers usually always light up with that first cup in the morning.  The urge of having a cigarette with a glass of wine or any alcoholic beverage  is one of the most common triggers.  During these times  try to drink less when you first quit or re-train and convince your mind to "break" the connection between the two.  I love coffee so much I wasn't willing to give it up.  I was determined to be a coffee drinker and still give up my 2 pack a day habit, so I had to convince my mind that these two things just didn't go together.  Hey, if I can do it - I know you can ! 

6.  Clean House


Although I have quit for four years now, I still LOVE the smell of cigarettes.  Yes I must confess I do.  That being said it really wouldn't have made any sense for me to keep cigarettes, lighters or ashtrays around once I had quit.  I remember the first time I had friends over, someone had asked if they could light up in the house. Without thinking I said "sure go ahead".  I thought about it for a moment and then said "You know I quit smoking so would you mind going outside"  Of course she didn't because she didn't even smoke in her own home, but had been so accustomed to seeing me smoke in mine.  But the bottom line is get rid all tobacco and tobacco products, use air fresheners to help your home smell fresh and clean and you will be more successul in your effort to quit smoking.

7. Don't Give Up and Try and Try Again


Truth be known I had quit smoking once before.  It was in my twenties and it was on a bet.  The problem with that is when the bet ended, so did my smoking cessation.  Even if I hadn't quit on a bet it is very common to go back to smoking after having quit for a period of time. Many smokers try several times before giving up cigarettes for good.  Use your relapse as a good opportunity to reaffirm your committiment to quitting . Examine the reasons of what went wrong and what emotions and circumstances  lead to your relapse. Once you’ve made the decision to try again, set a “quit date” within the next month.  If you need extra help to Stop Smoking, get it now.

No comments: