Friday, January 29, 2010

I Prepared Myself to Quit part 5

For 33 years I did not want to quit, but during the time I was going out with an non smoker and not smoking in front of him, little did I know I was preparing my body not to smoke. The other thing that happened was my mind was noticing that I could go many hours without the need to smoke. I started paying attention to how and what prompted me to smoke and when the urges were the strongest. As I said in my past blogs, you do have to first change your mind and your behavior will follow. Here are some other things to consider when deciding to quit that may help you on your way to becoming a non-smoker for good !

MORE WAYS OF QUITTING...

• Change your eating habits to help you cut down. For example, drink milk, which many people consider incompatible with smoking. End meals or snacks with something that won't lead to a cigarette.

• Reach for a glass of juice instead of a cigarette for a "pick-me-up."
• Remember: Cutting down can help you quit, but it's not a substitute for quitting. If you're down to about seven cigarettes a day, it's time to set your target date and get ready to stick to it.

Don't Smoke "Automatically"
• Smoke only those cigarettes you really want. Catch yourself before you light up a cigarette out of pure habit.
• Don't empty your ashtrays. This will remind you of how many cigarettes you've smoked each day, and the sight and smell of stale butts will be very unpleasant.
• Make yourself aware of each cigarette by using the opposite hand or putting cigarettes in an unfamiliar location or a different pocket to break the automatic reach.
• If you light up many times during the day without even thinking about it, try to look in a mirror each time you put a match to your cigarette - you may decide you don't need it.

YouCanQuitSmokingToo

No comments: