Monday, January 25, 2010

I Prepared Myself To Quit part 2

For 33 years I did not want to quit, but during the time I was going out with an non smoker and not smoking in front of him, little did I know I was preparing my body not to smoke. The other thing that happened was my mind was noticing that I could go many hours without the need to smoke. I started paying attention to how and what prompted me to smoke and when the urges were the strongest. As I said in my past blogs, you do have to first change your mind and your behavior will follow. Here are some other things to consider when decidong to quit that may help you on your way to becomming a non-smoker for good !

KNOWING WHAT TO EXPECT...


• Have realistic expectations - quitting isn't easy, but it's not impossible either. More than 3 million Americans quit every year.

• Understand that withdrawal symptoms are TEMPORARY. They usually last only 1-2 weeks.

• Know that most relapses occur in the first week after quitting, when withdrawal symptoms are strongest and your body is still dependent on nicotine. Be aware that this will be your hardest time, and use all your personal resources - willpower, family, and friends- to get you through this critical period successfully.

• Know that most other relapses occur in the first 3 months after quitting, with situational triggers - such as a particularly stressful event - occur unexpectedly. These are the times when people reach for cigarettes automatically, because they associate smoking with relaxing. Try to prepare yourself in advance for this type of situation, like determining to take deep breaths instead of reaching for a cigarette. Remember that smoking is a habit, but a habit you can break.

• Realize that most successful ex-smokers quit for good only after several attempts. You may be one of those who can quit your first try. But if you're not, DON'T GIVE UP. Try again.

You Can Quit Smoking Too

No comments: