Friday, February 5, 2010

Australian Throat Cancer Rate Doubles

When I was smoking, my weight was down, however there are many people who smoke and are heavy.  This does not help the risk of cancer.  I did not always think about cancer, but I have to admit it was always in the back of my mind.   I aways knew I had to want to quit and that would decrease my chances for having cancer.  Heres what Australia is saying about the matter, let me know your thoughts :

The Cancer Council in Australia warned that the rate of oesophageal cancer has more than doubled in 25 years.

The major increase in the cancer was due to the rising levels of obesity and the postponed effects of smoking said s Professor Ian Olver who is the chief executive of Cancer Council Australia

The cause was preventable and mostly lifestyle-related when they attributed obesity to 37 percent of the cases and 45 percent to smoking. Although the number of smokers have decreased the rates of smoking related illnesses are rising due to the length of time many people have smoked.

The Australian government published a report for preventing cancers caused by smoking, obesity and alcohol entitled “Preventative Healthy Taskforce”. http://bit.ly/Taskforce This disease is responsible for more premature death in Australia than any other cause, however if the government commits to work together it’s impact will be greatly reduced. Quit Smoking Now

No comments: