Saturday, February 6, 2010

California: Restaurant Patio Smoking Ban Fails

I live in California where it was the first state to ban smoking in many areas.  In Los Angeles smoking is banned in outdoor areas. Although a smoker for 33 years and having quit for four, I still believe that people should have the right to smoke in public places.  I was also very considerate in that if a non-smoker asked me to put my cigarette out - I would without hesitation - it is just common courtesy.  I was very surprised when I read this articl about a city in California called  Rancho Cucamonga.  Let me know your thoughts after you read this :

Mayor Don Kurth, who is a physician was disagreed with the decision of the City council not to enforce a smoking ban this past Wednesday.


The Council felt the timing wasn’t right due to the economic climate and feared that local restaurant business would be impacted. Other concerns were that government should not be the one to decide whether patrons can smoke or not in outdoor patios and that the restriction might be too stringent on businesses that rely on outdoor patio sales.

The current ordinance, bans smoking on city-owned properties. Wednesday the council tentatively approved a draft ordinance that would prohibit smoking within 20 feet of transit stops and service lines such as near ATMs and movie theaters. In addition the Council members are interested in exploring the idea of prohibiting smoking in entryways of businesses and directed city staff members to gather information on a possible ordinance.   I Need Help Quitting

What do you think?  Should smoking be allowed on Patio Dining ?

No comments: