Saturday, February 27, 2010

5 Reasons to Quit Smoking

 5 Of all the many reasons to quit smoking I always did have a fear of cancer or worse yet getting a disease that the doctor would just tell me “it could have been prevented only if you would of……. “ and you can fill in the blanks. Well as it turned out after not having taken birth control pills for 30+ years I decided to take birth control at a ripe old age. I knew at my age and the health risk associated with smoking and the birth control that would leave me at very high risk. It turned out to be a major decision in my life. Whatever your reasons are, and however long it takes, you should be aware that smokers are more at risk for the following should you not decide to quit smoking :

• COPD or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
COPD makes breathing extremely difficult. . Emphysema and chronic obstructive bronchitis are included under COPD. Smoking is attributed to 80% of the patients who have COPD. People who have never smoked, hardly ever have this disease. Treatments include medications, oxygen therapy, surgery and pulmonary rehabilitation. I remember that in my younger years I had a sales representative who was about 15 years my senior. Long after our business association we remained friends. I had a occasion to visit out of state where he lived and was shocked to see him on oxygen. He, his wife and I were always so full of life and very active in business and business gatherings. I remember how saddened I was to see how difficult it was for him to breath. Since I was still smoking I also thought to myself “that could be me in a few years. It took me another year to finally quit smoking

• Heart Disease
Smoking is the leading cause of coronary heart disease along with atherosclerosis which is a buildup of fatty substances in the arteries. Over the years, Smoking consistently lowers your blood pressure, lowers stamina for exercise and increases the tendency for blood clots. If the arteries that supply blood to the heart become severely narrowed, decreasing the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the heart, especially during times of increased activity additional strain on the heart may result in chest pain. If 1 or more of the coronary arteries are completely blocked a patient may also suffer a heart attack.

• Stroke
My Aunt was a smoker all her life, and worse than a heart attack I believe is a stroke. Her quality of life was never the same and she could never walk or talk again. I must say, I still continued to smoke after that for about another ten years ! Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of strokes and heart attacks. Smokers are 3 times more likely to suffer a stroke than non-smokers. The good news is if you quit smoking early, your risk of a stroke is drastically reduced.

• Lung Cancer
Cigarette Smoking is directly linked to the increase numbers of patients who suffer from lung cancer. Furthermore smoking is responsible for 90% of all cancer deaths. Being responsible for more cancer deaths than colorectal cancer, breast cancer and prostate cancer combined in both men and women.

• Oral Cancer
Common symptoms of oral cancer include white or red patch of skin in the mouth or under the tongue, a lump in the mouth, throat or tongue, a sore throat that doesn’t go away within a normal period of time and difficulty in swallowing or chewing. All forms of tobacco addiction increases your risk of oral cancer.

I am concerned about my health risks and want to quit smoking now

1 comment:

Green Smoke said...

All the reasons you have mentioned are more than enough to make someone quit smoking. Thanks for sharing.